There were three individuals inducted in 1998 – Dorothy Futcher, Giles Hume and Kenneth Watterworth.
Dorothy E. Futcher
1898 – 1984
Dorothy E Futcher, formerly Dorothy Horton was born in St. Thomas. She attended elementary and secondary schools in St. Thomas before going to O.E.C. in Toronto. Upon graduation she taught at S. S. 14 Southwold at Middlemarch and later the Fingal Continuation School.
Dorothy married John R. Futcher in 1923 and had four children, John E., Allison H., Isabel and Robin and lived on a farm in the Middlemarch area.
Dorothy’s lifelong concern with education, religion, history and quality of rural life is reflected in her actual involvement in many agricultural and community organizations.
– President Middlemarch Women’s Institute (WI)
– President West Elgin WI 1941
– Elected to the Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario 1944
– President Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario 1947-1950
– Canadian delegate to Association of Country Women of the World
(ACWW) 2 times – Toronto and Copenhagen, Denmark
– Executive of the Elgin Federation of Agriculture
– Member of the Board of Directors for Ontario Agricultural College
– Appointed by province to the Archeological & Historic Sites Board
– Director of Women’s Division at the Royal Winter Fair
– Founder and Chairwomen of Elgin County Pioneer Museum
– Women of the year by St. Thomas University Woman’s Club 1971
– Recognized with Ontario Agricultural College Medal
– Awarded life membership by FWIC
– Inducted into Ontario Agricultural Hall of Fame 1888
– Member of First United Church and First United Church Women
Dorothy also wrote “Museum News” each week for a local newspaper updated the public of events happening at the museum.
Dorothy always placed “first things first” and was a leader proved the WI motto “For Home and Country”.
Giles A. Hume
Giles Hume was born November 7, 1927 in Cobourg, Northumberland County and attended school in Springfield and Aylmer, and completed many short courses at Ontario Agricultural College and Fanshawe College. He farmed with his father, Thomas in the Springfield area. In 1960, the farm was the home of the International Plowing Match.
President of East Elgin Jr. Farmers – 1952
President of Elgin Count Jr. Farmers – 1954
President of Elgin Plowmen’s Assoc. – 1954
Ontario Director Jr. Farmer’s Assoc. – 1956
President of Aylmer Fair Board – 1974 – 1975
Chairman of Farm Safety Committee – Elgin – 1975
Chairman 4-H Committee – Aylmer Fair 1958 -1975 1985 – 1997
President of Elgin 4-H Association –
Director 4-H Council for Elgin County 1993 – 1997
Award of Merit from Aylmer & EE Agricultural Society – 1988
Award of Merit from Province of Ontario for significant contributions to Agriculture 1993
Conservationist of the year award from CCCA – 1993
40 year award as 4-H Leader in Elgin – 1995
50 years working at Aylmer Fair in many capacities
Charter President of Springfield Lions Club 1959
Director of Pearce Williams Christian Centre 1972 -1975
Chairman of several Church committees 1970 -1988
Chairman for Scouts Canada for support committee for Springfield & District
Church Choir, Youth Leader, in Church and Sunday School 1968 – 1988
Citizen of the year for Springfield an district 1987
Vice Chairman – Heritage Aylmer – Charter Member, saved Aylmer Old Town Hall
coached minor hockey
organized Jr. Farmer hockey league
co-authored Elgin County’s 4-H History
Local Historian for Springfield and Community
Delivered Meals of Wheels in Springfield and Aylmer area
Member of Elgin County Railway Museum,
Member of Southwestern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society
Giles is one of the most successful 4-H club leaders in Canada, having 40 or member in a Dairy club at a time. He has members whose parents have been in his clubs.
**In 2013, Giles was awarded the Golden Jubilee Award from Queen Elizabeth for leading 4-H for 57 years.
*** In 2016, Giles was awarded a 60 year 4-H volunteer award. He is the first person to achieve this many years for volunteering in 4-H in Ontario.
Kenneth D. Watterworth
Ken was born in Ridgetown, Ontario November 30, 1915. He attended Elementary and High school in the area and took course at Ridgetown Agricultural College. Ken had a hand in farming since the age of 6 and farmed cash crops, beef cattle and eggs. He retired after 77 years in the business.
In 1936 Ken built a barn to house 400 laying hens, renovating to increase the flock to 600, then again to 1,000.
1942, Ken purchased on the first tractors in the area; it was a 30 hp Allis-Chalmers
Ken has been the active in the EFA since its inauguration in 1947 serving as President 3 times.
In 1952 Ken helped introduce pure-bred Hereford cattle to Ontario when he purchased 3 cows.
1959 – Ken sold the highest selling bull in Ontario.
1967 – Japanese buyers purchased 2 of Ken’s bulls to ship to Japan
1969 – Ken built a building to house 11,000 laying hens
Ken served as director on the Ontario Egg Producer’s Marketing Board, 1976 -1984 visiting the 10 provinces and making lasting friendships
Sunday School Superintendent at West Lorne United Church for 30 years.
Member of the Church Choir and on the Official Board for a number of years.
President of the Eagle Adult Club
Member of the West Elgin Environmental Group
Member of the Block Parent Association.