The first three individuals inducted into the Elgin Federation of Agriculture Hall of Fame are Angus Campbell, John Wise and Robert Humphrey.
Angus Campbell was born in Dutton/Dunwich Township, attended S. S. #9, Angus is a fourth generation farmer on the Belldoon Farm in the Iona Station area.
Angus is the foundation of swine and beef genetic improvements in the Ontario and Canadian beef industry.
Angus was part of the launch of the beef industry’s artificial insemination program, embryo transplants, meat improvement and promoted cross-breeding.
President of Elgin County Jr. Farmers – 1954
Provincial Director of Ontario Jr. Farmers – 1955-58
Delegate to Jr. Farmers Exchange to U. K. 1958
4-H Club Leader for 37 years
Past Director and President of Elgin Cattlemen’s Association
Past Director of Elgin Soil and Crop Association
President of Ontario Swine Breeders Association 1967
Past Director of Canadian P.O.P for Swine Board
Founding member and first President of Quality Swine – 1965
Helped select and organize 1st imports of Hampshire & Devioc Swine
Past President & Director Ontario & Canadian Hampshire Association
Director of Ontario Limousin Association for 15 years
President of Ontario Limousin Association
Past President and Director of Ontario Beef Performance Association
1965 – Elgin Soil & Crop Conservation Award
1967 – Centennial award for contributions to agriculture
1976 – Ontario Pork Producers producer of the year
1988 – Ontario Ministry Agriculture & Food 100th Anniversary medal
for outstanding service to agriculture
1991 – Merit Award – Ontario Pork Producers’ Marketing Board
2000 – Beef Improvement Ontario Mark of Excellence Award
2001 – Canadian Limousin Association Mark of Distinction Award
Also honoured by Ontario Limousins’ Association, Quality Swine, and life membership to Ontario Institute of Agrologists.
Angus is a visionary and smart thinker who would rather be at the 4-H competition helping “some up-and-comer” in the show ring, than receive awards and tributes.
John Clayton Wise
1935 – 2013
John Wise was born in St. Thomas and attended S. S. 17 public school, St. Thomas Collegiate Institute in St. Thomas and was a graduate of the University of Guelph.
John was a fifth generation dairy farmer on John Wise Line south of St. Thomas. He married Ann Richardson in 1959 and was a devoted father to Susan and Elizabeth and grandfather of Jess and Grant.
President of Oxford and District Cattle Breeders Association (now Western Ontario Breeders),
Director of the Elgin Co-operative Services,
Honorary founding President of Soil Conservation Canada.
Elected to municipal council in 1960,
Warden in 1969.
PC representative for Elgin in the House of Commons in 1972,
Re-elected in 1974, 1979, 1980 and 1984.
Served two terms as Minister of Agriculture and retired from federal politics prior to the 1988 election.
Highlights while Minister of Ag,
Establishing new research stations and labs in London, Guelph and throughout Canada.
John was on the forefront of many changes to agriculture, including introduction of tripartite stabilization, farm debt review, rural transition programs, grains programs, Soil Conservation Canada and international trade endeavors.
Recognized for his contributions by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association,
Research branch of Ag Canada established the John Wise Fellowship Award to help local students.
John retired from the Queen’s Privy Council.
Past chair of the boards of the Canadian Livestock Exporters Association and the Canadian Embryo Exports Association.
Past Chairman of the Elgin & St. Thomas Planning Board,
32 degree Mason with the Masonic Lodge #546 A.F and A.M and a Shriner.
Chair of the “Home is where the heart is” fundraiser for the new Elgin Manor.
Besides having a road named after him, in 2009, John was honoured by having a St. Thomas public school named after him.
John was extremely proud of this family and community. Always driven to succeed and expected the same from those closest to him. He was equally thrilled in seeing success in others.
Robert (Bob) Edgar Humphrey
1914 – 1991
Robert (Bob) Humphrey was born in Ireland in 1914. His family immigrated to Canada in 1929/30. He went to school in Egypt and high school in Aylmer and took some courses at University of Western Ontario. Bob was a swine and beef farmer in central Malahide area. He married Esther Laidlaw in 1942 and they had 5 children, Ken, Jean, Ruth, Jim and Nancy.
Early 1960s Bob had the largest swine herd in the area with 800 pigs.
He built the first liquid manure pit in Ontario
Pioneer in mineral additives to livestock feed, which he patented
On of the first to use soil test plots to collect data.
Director on the Elgin Federation of Agriculture. He was a long time media report for the EFA.
Volunteer Co-Operators Award, Ontario Ag College, U of G.
Bob was very creative and imaginative, trying new ideas and building thing to use on the farm. He was never in a rut in terms of looking to the future.
Bob was Baptist Church Superintendent for a number of years.